Seneste indlæg

Summary – Presentation and reflection

We have reached the end of our project, and today we had the final presentation of our construction, and show what it was capable of.

The test in went through included different tasks. The first task was to cut the biggest piece of foam possible. It is shown on the picture below:

The biggest cut possible.

The biggest cut possible.

The second test was to cut out four large circles, that would fit into the big square from task 1. Our grous misunderstood that task, and cut four seperate circles instead of cutting the circles right on the square. But we still got some ciricles with a diameter of 17 cm anyway 😉

One of the large circles.

One of the large circles.

The third task was to cut 3 squares in 10×10 and then 3 circles with the diameter of 10. That task was a little more difficult. We discovered that our belt on the x-axis didn’t work optimally and wasn’t able to pull the sleigh, when it reached the middle of the construction. Therefore, we tightened the belt a little bit more, and tried to cut another round of both squares and circles. That went way better.

The three circles.

The three circles.

The three squares.

The three squares.

The fourth task was to cut three gears of different sizes. After re-tightening the belt, this geomtery was cut without any problems.

The three gears of different sizes.

The three gears of different sizes.

The fifth task was to cut a random letter from the word MEKATRONIK. We got the letter K, and cut that too without any problem and with highly precision.

The letter "K"

The letter “K”

The sixth and last task was to cut any geometry, a so called free-style session. Since the name of our construction is inspired from a dinosaur, a Sauropod, we decided to cut a silhouette of such a dinosaur (See earlier post about our first dinosaur-cutting-session: https://m3k47r0n1k.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/our-creative-contribution/). Even though the first Dinosaur-cut turned out fine, we decided to try to make a geometry, which is a bit more complex. We found a silhouette of a T-Rex-cranium and traced it in Photoshop. Then we transfered the file to Inkscape, and then we were able to cut the cranium in foam. The result was very successfull and despite all the crooked lines, the construction was able to cut it with a high precision and accuracy.

The cranium in progress.

The cranium in progress.

The cranium up close.

The cranium up close.

All in all the presetation went well, but there’s still room for improvements. The fact that the belts were a little too lose, shows that this is an area we have to focus on for further work in order to optimize the precision of the geometries even more.

As a conclusion on our project, we think that we’ve accomplished a construction that fully lives up to our criterias. The construction is simple, consisting of few components and is easy to transport, seperate and assemble again if needed. Furthermore is the precision and accuracy high, and thereof, the results of the geometries are good.

  1. Link for Thingiverse Skriv et svar
  2. Video of the Sauropod Skriv et svar
  3. Inkscape and GRBL Skriv et svar
  4. Our creative contribution 1 svar
  5. The foam-cutter – a full description 1 svar
  6. Tests with Inkscape Skriv et svar
  7. The final construction Skriv et svar
  8. Some choices behind our design Skriv et svar
  9. Workflow Skriv et svar